Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It Goes On And On...

Yet another game where we looked tired in the third period. Yet another 4-3 loss. Yet another hole to dig ourselves out of.

I want to post something optimistic about the outcome of this game, but I can't find anything. I will admit that I take Red Wings losses hard; I have for the past three years and that fact is never going to change. My intense love for this hockey team stemmed from my senior year of high school, but none of you guys want to hear that story, so let's come back to the present moment.

The end of our season is looming and while I'd like to believe that a four-game winning streak is entirely plausible from the Wings, I have to look at the reality of the situation and say that I think we're burnt out. I know, I know, you don't want to hear those words. But look at the facts: we worked our butts off to get into the playoffs, we had to go to seven games to beat Phoenix... Maybe a two-game win streak. I mean, we did drop Game Three at home against Phoenix and win Four and Five. I think we could do that against the Sharks, but the Wings have to want that.

We've had a problem holding two-goal leads this entire season. We've had a problem putting our hearts into games and proving that we want to win. Game Three and/or Six against Phoenix, anyone?

Yeah, I could point the blame at bad reffing and blown calls and soft goals, but I won't. The officiating was not as bad as the past two games [though it was still pretty bad]. And I have nothing against the non-goal on Zetterberg. While I don't think he was intentionally kicking the puck, it was more of a kicking motion than the Sedin goal that was waved off in Round One.

My birthday last year sucked, too. Last year's birthday was Game Three against Anaheim when they called off Hossa's goal with 1:07 left in the third that would have tied it up. I didn't think it could be worse. But this year, there are other things going on in my life where I could use a happy Wings victory to brighten some aspect. While my birthday isn't until tomorrow, I was counting this as a birthday game.

This entire post sounds as though the series has ended [and has no coherent structure to it]. In retrospect, most Wings fans know that winning four games in a row is tough in the playoffs, and they're already grieving for their team. I wish I could muster up the strength to be optimistic like usual. I'll end with a ridiculously depressing thought, since that's the theme for tonight, what with the Wings and Tigers losing, and Ernie Harwell finally passing on:

What's the worst thing about being swept in this series? It could quite possibly have Nicklas Lidstrom contemplating retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment